Fall is upon us! Soon the leaves will be falling and the days will be shorter. The change of the seasons is always a good time to go over some home maintenance items that may need attention. Checklists are my favorite way to stay on top of these potential problems. Hopefully there are some things listed here that will be helpful to you.
– Inspect your furnace or heat pump to ensure that it can achieve maximum efficiency
– Check to make sure your thermostat works properly
– Schedule to have your chimney serviced and cleaned
– Clean your gutters and downspouts throughout the season
– Repair and window cracks or holes in weather stripping or caulking.
– Check your crawlspace for flooding after the first long rainfall
– Make sure you have new batteries in all flashlights and you have a specific place to keep them.
– Have your lawn irrigation system professionally drained and winterized
– Make sure your attic and crawlspaces have adequate insulation
– Clean out your bathroom fan
– Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
– Make sure you have at least one fire extinguisher on each floor of the house and in the garage
– Make a fire escape plan for your house and take time to review it with all family members
– Disconnect garden hoses and drain water still in faucets
Paying attention to these items will help prevent costly and/or emergency repairs and will allow you piece of mind as the weather changes.
Steve Sloboda is a Managing Broker & Premier Associate with Windermere Real Estate in University Place, WA.